Sparks fly for opening of ‘flagship’ tech centre
- Credit: Archant
A £1.7 million state-of-the-art technology and training centre has been officially opened as a welding business marks its 90th birthday.
Weldability-Sif in Letchworth welcomed Sir Oliver Heald to do the honours as the one stop shop for welding products aims to reduce a growing skills gap in the UK manufacturing industry.
The Conservative’s East and North Herts general election candidate unveiled a plaque to mark the occasion, before touring the facility.
The centre in Icknield Way houses a large product demonstration and selection showroom, as well as a welder training facility which includes an ‘eLearning suite’ which provides a virtual environment for students to hone their skills.
The new facility will complement Weldability-Sif’s charitable foundation, which has helped train more than 5,000 people at 25 welding studios at colleges and training centres across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
The company’s aim is to reduce the average age of welders, which currently stands at 57 in the UK.
Addressing guests, Weldability Sif chairman Adrian Hawkins paid tribute to the strength of the company for surviving two world wars, three recessions and eight changes in the UK government.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
He added: “In our flagship, state-of-the-art technology and training centre we will continue to further develop our courses, simulators, and training products, as well as offer one of the finest welder-training and coding sites in the UK – providing much-needed facilities to the greater London area in the process.”
The new centre will also offers businesses across the area a ‘bay for a day’ service, allowing welding bays to be rented on a daily, weekly or monthly basis with technical staff on hand to help where required.
For more information visit www.weldability-sif.com or call 01462 482200.