Vinyl shops in Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock gear up for Record Store Day 2018
- Credit: Archant
More than 240 independent record stores across the UK will be celebrating Record Store Day on Saturday – including shops in Hitchin, Baldock and Letchworth.
Among those involved are Gatefold Record Lounge in Hitchin, Stylus Lounge in Baldock and David’s Music in Letchworth, which will all celebrate the international day of vinyl this weekend by welcoming music enthusiasts in their hundreds.
Jak and Nicola Utley – owners of Gatefold in Hitchin’s Hermitage Road – will be having an all-day party with a number of DJs lined up, street food, drinks and special offers in store.
Jak said: “Record Store Day has a special meaning for us – the relevance to celebrate the experience of going to a record shop to celebrate the fact that it still exists, and to offer that experience.”
Sales in vinyl have been growing consistently since 2007 according to the British Phonographic Industry, and have even overtaken digital sales as popularity of records increases among younger people.
You may also want to watch:
David’s Music in Letchworth will host a wide range of live performances in celebration of everything vinyl on Saturday. The store will have its doors open to the public from 8am where Hitchin’s Rags n Wax will take to the DJ decks throughout the morning,
Live performances will begin at 1pm with Rhi, a signed artist based in London. BBC Folk Award nominees Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker will take to the stage at 2pm. Hitchin-based rock and soul singer Alex Francis – who won the support of Time Out Magazine’s ‘Rising Stars’ artist programme – will close the show, with a set at 3pm.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
Stylus Lounge in Baldock will celebrate its first Record Store Day following its opening in November.
The coffee and vinyl store will welcome a range of DJs and local musicians to perform throughout the day and into the evening. They will also be offering free tea and coffee to anyone braving the queue before opening, and a free goodie bag to the first 20 customers.
In addition to live music and freebies, Stylus will also be selling raffle tickets with all proceeds going to the Nordoff Robbins charity, the largest independent music therapy charity in the UK which is dedicated to changing lives of vulnerable and isolated people.
To find out more about Record Store Day go to recordstoreday.co.uk/home.