Prezzo set to axe 100 restaurants in major restructuring
- Credit: Archant
Casual dining chain Prezzo – which has restaurants in Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth – plans to close up to a third of its 300 locations across Britain.
The Italian-themed chain, owned by private equity firm TPG Capital, is set to launch a company voluntary arrangement within days in an attempt to overhaul its finances.
There are Prezzo restaurants in Stevenage Old Town, Stevenage Retail Park, Hitchin’s Bancroft and Eastcheap in Letchworth. The Comet has contacted Prezzo to ask whether any of these locations will be affected, but has yet to receive a response.
Hundreds of positions are at risk at about 100 Prezzo-owned outlets, though an insider told Sky News the number of lost jobs was expected to be far below a third of the full 4,500-person workforce.
Prezzo has been run by former Travelodge executive Jon Hendry Pickup since 2016. The CVA will be overseen by advisory firm AlixPartner, and is likely to involve negotiations with landlords to try to reduce rents at many of the restaurants that remain.
You may also want to watch:
The bleak news comes as a third blow to the high street on a day when both Toys R Us UK and Maplin – each a mainstay of Stevenage retail – into administation.
Other casual dining chains to go through a CVA in recent months include Jamie’s Italian – part of celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s restaurant business – and Byron Hamburgers.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation