North Herts students get their teeth into Subway design a sandwich contest
- Credit: Archant
Deadline looming if others want to follow suit with their arresting recipes
Students hungry for a taste of success are tucking in to an annual challenge - designing a new six-inch Subway sandwich which will go on the menu at stores around the region.
It’s the fifth year that the fresh fast food chain has staged the contest, and more than 80 North Herts College students studying for the Level 2 and Level 3 diploma in business, as well as learners at the associated Peter Jones Enterprise Academy - who last year took the top honours in the annual contest - are pitting their business skills against schools and colleges from across the region.
Subway representatives were at the college’s new-look Hitchin campus to spread the word, kick-starting a host of activities linked to the project.
They included Bob Moodliar, who owns a number of Subway outlets in the area, including one in Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We’re delighted that North Herts College has decided once again to enter.
“The competition was won last year by a team from North Herts College Peter Jones Enterprise Academy and I’m sure they are hoping to replicate this success. We’re looking for students to provide original ideas for the creation of a new sub to be sold across the Anglia region.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
The college’s business enterprise manager Sarah Lee added: “The students have been conducting research in Hitchin town centre to help them with the competition, including the cost of sandwiches locally and typical sandwich fillings.
“We have taken part in the Design a Sub challenge for a number of years and think it’s a great opportunity for students to put some of their learning into practise and develop some fantastic business skills along the way.”
This year’s winning recipe will go on sale in February next year and the winning team will also get £1,000 in Amazon vouchers. There is also £250 of Amazon vouchers up for grabs for the top five runners-up. Awards will be given for best presentation, best promotional idea and overall winner.
Students taking part in the challenge are now busy devising their campaigns.
Business student Josh Oxberry said: “Our first step will be to develop a questionnaire asking customers about their choice of sandwich, and then we’ll design a sub and see if people like the idea.”
Saskia Miller, who is also taking part, added: “The sub we design needs to have fewer than 350 calories. Our team already has some great ideas.”
It’s not too late to get involved in the concert - teachers and students can ask for a briefing pack by emailing email@example.com. All entries must be approved first by the college before submission.
The deadline for entries is Friday, October 10.