‘Name change of historic Stevenage Old Town pub would be a travesty’
- Credit: Archant
Plans to change the name of a historic Stevenage Old Town pub have been dismissed as a travesty by pub regulars.
The White Lion in the High Street is having a major facelift and owners Greene King have confirmed the ancient name is under review.
The public house has been known as The White Lion for hundreds of years and is one of the town’s oldest surviving structures.
Alexander Morris told the Comet: “I feel it is incredibly irresponsible to change the name of a building that has been called so for hundreds of years.
“With many social areas in Stevenage in a very sorry state of affairs I think it would be a travesty to lose such a historically important name.”
You may also want to watch:
Stevenage historian Hugh Magdin agreed that it would be a shame to see the pub’s name change.
He said: “The pub was one of the principal coaching inns in its day, and is enormously interesting architecturally. It is by far the most exciting timber frame building in Stevenage.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
“It is part of the historic fabric of Stevenage and it will be a big shame if the name is changed.
“However we can always change it back, and it does need a refurbishment.
“I suspect that if they do change it, it would change back pretty quickly. I am not worried, it remains the focal point of the High Street.”
The pub company said: “We are planning a substantial refurbishment of The White Lion and hope to start making these improvements very soon pending planning approval. To coincide with this investment the name of the pub is currently under review.”