McDonald’s confirmed for £16 million Letchworth redevelopment also including Travelodge and Aldi – as planning application goes in
- Credit: Archant
McDonald’s could be coming to Letchworth next year as part of a proposed £16 million development also including a Travelodge hotel and an Aldi supermarket.
The planning application for the redevelopment at 1 Avenue One, which has been dubbed Letchworth Gateway, was lodged with North Herts District Council today.
The blueprint for the long-vacant 4½-acre site – formerly used by BT Engage – includes a McDonald’s drive-through, an Aldi supermarket, a Travelodge hotel and a café with a drive-through.
A spokesman for developers Aberdeen Asset Management – also behind Stevenage’s Roaring Meg and the A1 retail park in Biggleswade – told the Comet the Letchworth development could bring up to 150 new jobs, and that if all goes smoothly it could open by next autumn.
The construction would provide 37 jobs during the estimated 12-month build, with another 29 or so created in the supply chain during the redevelopment.
The plans include parking spaces for 216 cars, split between the McDonald’s, supermarket, 73-room hotel and café.
Letchworth used to have a McDonald’s in the town centre, which closed about a decade ago.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 9 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
You can get more information about the Letchworth Gateway plans and make your own comments online at 1avenueone.co.uk.