MBDA engineer Melissa named in awards shortlist
- Credit: Archant
A former Stevenage apprentice at MBDA, is celebrating after being announced best in the South East region at an industry awards.
Melissa Garratt, 22, from Broadwater in Stevenage, scooped the title for Outstanding Achievement by a Final Year Apprentice at The Manufacturer Awards – widely recognised as the industry standard for engineering.
Melissa is now a qualified mechanical engineer at MBDA after completing a three-year apprenticeship at the company. Her award puts her in the final five for the national award, to be announced next year.
The judges said: “We were very impressed with the way this apprentice progressed, starting on her work experience programme. This was the beginning of a journey, which saw her build confidence and successfully become a professional engineer.”
Melissa said: “It’s a real honour to win this title as these awards are the industry benchmark for engineering. It’s also great to get some positive recognition for how valuable apprenticeships can be and the career paths they can lead to.”
You may also want to watch:
Also in the spotlight on the awards night were Melissa’s colleagues, Jody Patrick and Danielle Calvert. Jody was runner-up in the Outstanding Achievement by a Final Year Apprentice category after recently finishing her business trainee programme, and Danielle, a second year Engineering Apprentice, was highly commended in the Outstanding Achievement by a First Year Apprentice category.
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 5 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 6 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 7 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 8 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 9 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
- 10 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs