I’m thrilled so many people have offered their congratulations, says Hitchin’s new MBE Judi
- Credit: Archant
Long-serving Labour councillor Judi Billing says her work developing local government around the world earned her a place on the Queen’s birthday honours list - but it’s her role representing constituents in Hitchin that keeps her grounded.
Judi, who will be presented with her MBE at a date to be arranged, says she has been overwhelmed by the many congratulations she has received since news of the award was made public.
She told the Comet this morning: “I have been absolutely inundated with kindness since the announcement was made on Friday night.
“My award has been given for the work I do across the county and internationally supporting councillors of all political parties, running courses and working with them to improve local government.
“This work has taken me the length and breadth of England and Wales as well as challenging assignments in Northern Ireland, Israel, South Africa and Zimbabwe.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is my work as a member of North Herts District Council and Herts County Council representing Hitchin which keeps me grounded, in touch with the needs of people as individuals and in groups and where I am able to try and make a real difference.
“The kind and supportive phone calls, tweets, emails and Facebook messages have come from local people as well as those across the country and have been from those who care deeply about politics and those who don’t give a fig.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
“My values and driving force will always be in the Labour Party but I’m delighted to work with people of many political persuasions and none to try and improve local services and the quality of life in Hitchin and beyond.”