Howzat! Cricketers joins the team as Willian-based pub group expands with Weston deal
- Credit: Archant
Another pub in North Herts has been added to the stable at award-winning pub group Anglian Country Inns.
The group, which is based in Willian and includes The Fox a stone’s throw from its HQ and the Hermitage Rd bar and restaurant in Hitchin in its stable, has announced that The Cricketers in Damask Green Lane, Weston, is to be the sixth watering hole in its line-up.
Early plans for the site will see it building on its existing reputation by focusing on real ales and introducing a menu using the best local ingredients, says the company.
The Cricketers operation will be headed up by Marek Vlk, who has spent the last four years at The Jolly Sailors in North Norfolk, another ACI pub which was crowned best family pub in East Anglia at the Great British Pub Awards earlier this year.
The company’s North Herts venues are also regular award-winners.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Nicholls, who has also been with the group for the last three years, will be running the kitchen at Weston.
The site was previously owned by Rhubarb Inns and the freehold has been purchased by the Nye family, which runs the group.
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 4 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
It will be leased back to ACI, which has plans to invest in the site to add extra room for diners and develop the garden, but will be running the pub in its present format in the short term.
ACI managing director James Nye said: ‘I am very excited about this acquisition.
“As a family we have known The Cricketers for a long time and very much look forward to seeing the pub once more become a big part of the village community.”