Hitchin’s Kenmore Interiors set for closing-down sale ahead of liquidation
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin department store Kenmore Interiors is to hold a closing-down sale ahead of liquidation, according to a new display in its windows.
The landmark upholstery, flooring and furniture shop at the corner of Hermitage Road and Bancroft closed abruptly and without any apparent explanation last Monday.
The Comet has been contacted by numerous bemused customers who say they have paid money for goods they are yet to receive – and yesterday the shop windows were covered in advertisements for a closing-down sale over the bank holiday weekend, with a 50-per-cent discount offered on all items.
The feeling was perhaps summed up by one customer who told this paper it was “very sad for the staff and town”.
Kenmore Interiors’ website and Facebook pages no longer work, and there has been no answer when the Comet has called the shop’s listed phone number. Registration for the web domain kenmoreinteriors.com expired on May 8.
You may also want to watch:
Companies House records indicate that Kenmore Interiors Ltd has been listed for compulsory strike-off twice since March 2016, with both actions being discontinued. The more recent notice for compulsory strike-off was on March 6 this year, and was suspended later that month before being discontinued on April 7.
Kenmore Interiors – which has been in business for more than 30 years – moved into the mock-Tudor building on a 15-year lease in 2011, leaving smaller premises in Hermitage Road. The building dates back to 1927, and had three previous tenants.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 5 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 8 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin
- 9 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 10 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
The Comet has attempted to contact Kenmore Interiors by phone and email but has been unable to reach the company for comment.