Hitchin jeweller Emma’s business brainwave has a silver lining as she passes on her skills
- Credit: Archant
A jewellery designer is showing her metal as she builds a business teaching people how to work with silver to produce their own unique pieces.
Emma Thorne has been teaching University of Hertfordshire evening classes for many years while also producing her own work from her Hitchin studio, and her new classes are aimed both at beginners and intermediate jewellers, teaching the processes involved using both precious and non-precious metals and stones.
She said: “Everyone is encouraged to work to their own design whether their approach is traditional or contemporary, but for those just starting out there is plenty of inspirational imagery around the studio as well as tried and tested designs which can be reproduced.”
Courses cover all the basic skills as well as some specialised areas such as casting and stone setting and run either over six consecutive weeks on the same evening (7pm to 9.30pm, £135) or over a weekend (10am to 4pm, £215 with lunch and some silver provided).
She’ll also set up bespoke courses at the studio in Wallace Way, for a minmum of three people and a maximum of five. “Whether you want to seal your love with handmade personalised rings, get together with some friends to learn a new craft, plan your own bespoke event such as a hen party, or benefit from some private tuition, just get in touch,” she said. “Taster workshops are also available if you want to have a test run – they cost £25 and last for three hours.”
You may also want to watch:
All the information about course dates is on Facebook at Emma Thorne Studio Designs, where you can also read posts from past students and information about other projects such as children’s jewellery parties.
Former Hitchin Girls School pupil Emma, a mother of three who also lives in the town, has a degree in applied arts and specialised in jewellery during her studies. Her own work explores the relationship between silver and gold, with an emphasis on casting, and she uses precious and semi-precious stones to accentuate these two materials.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
She has exhibited in the past at venues including London’s Mall Galleries London and the Leeds Craft Centre and Design Gallery.
Check out the Facebook page or call 07717 22 77 44 to find out more.