Hitchin cooking goods shop Colanders to close after 25 years
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin cooking goods shop that has been a fixture of the town centre for a quarter of a century is to close next month.
The management at Colanders, in Churchgate, have posted a closing-down statement in their window announcing that they will close for the last time at 5.30pm on Saturday, May 26.
The statement says: “After 25 years serving the town of Hitchin, Colanders have, sadly, made the decision to close the business at the end of May 2018.
“Colanders has been a high street retailer for over 25 years and we have enjoyed serving you all – but we have found it increasingly difficult to keep up with the internet, supermarkets and the lack of footfall to the town.
“We have many loyal customers, and we thank you all for supporting us during the last 25 years.”
You may also want to watch:
The news comes hot on the heels of other independent Hitchin retailers closing – including iconic department store Hawkins of Hitchin, and fellow Churchgate outlet Electronic Universe.
The announcement has prompted a large reaction in the community, with many expressing sadness online at Colanders’ imminent closure.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
Rob Weavers, of independent home interior shop Maison Blanc in Bancroft, posted last night: “Sad news. At least the fifth independent retailer to close its doors within a month.
“Having a shop myself in town, it is vital that local customers support us – be that food, fashion or in my case home interiors.
“Please think twice before hitting the internet. It is true, footfall in Hitchin is low.”