Find out why Stevenage singer Aimi is poppin over to Hitchin to showcase Andrews tribute show
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage songstress Aimi Percival has been a fan of peerless Mary Poppins star Julie Andrews ever since she first trod the boards as one of the Von Trapp tots in a 1992 production of The Sound of Music at Hitchin Town Hall.
And her showcase of the star’s greatest hits and more – a hit at the Gordon Craig Theatre last year and now being worked up for further performances in the months ahead – is getting a run through in the smaller setting of Hitchin’s Market Theatre next week.
The show at the Sun Street venue next Wednesday is billed as a one-off preview.
Aimi said this week: “We want to try a few different things with the staging and direction.
“It is a much more intimate venue although the version with the full band is still a work in progress for larger theatres.
“The October show in Stevenage was a great success and we hope to have another date at the Gordon Craig towards the end of the year.”
The show is full of familar Andrews hits including Feed the Birds – “I could cry every time I hear it” – and the showstopper Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 8 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
Tickets are £11 and you can book online at www.markettheatre.co.uk.