Find out why Stevenage singer Aimi is poppin over to Hitchin to showcase Andrews tribute show
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage songstress Aimi Percival has been a fan of peerless Mary Poppins star Julie Andrews ever since she first trod the boards as one of the Von Trapp tots in a 1992 production of The Sound of Music at Hitchin Town Hall.
And her showcase of the star’s greatest hits and more – a hit at the Gordon Craig Theatre last year and now being worked up for further performances in the months ahead – is getting a run through in the smaller setting of Hitchin’s Market Theatre next week.
The show at the Sun Street venue next Wednesday is billed as a one-off preview.
Aimi said this week: “We want to try a few different things with the staging and direction.
“It is a much more intimate venue although the version with the full band is still a work in progress for larger theatres.
You may also want to watch:
“The October show in Stevenage was a great success and we hope to have another date at the Gordon Craig towards the end of the year.”
The show is full of familar Andrews hits including Feed the Birds – “I could cry every time I hear it” – and the showstopper Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
Tickets are £11 and you can book online at www.markettheatre.co.uk.