DR STEPHEN BARBER COMMENTS ON DARLING S DILEMMA Dr Stephen Barber, Head of Research at Selftrade, an independent online broker comments: All the pre-budget spin emerging from the treasury suggests that a key part of this week s budget will be to claw
DR STEPHEN BARBER COMMENTS ON DARLING'S DILEMMA
Dr Stephen Barber, Head of Research at Selftrade, an independent online broker comments:
"All the pre-budget spin emerging from the treasury suggests that a key part of this week's budget will be to claw back spending by way of efficiencies in an attempt to tackle truly dreadful public finances. This is somewhat schizophrenic and will be greeted by the markets as such. So far, the chancellor has been engaged in a bout of spending to kick start the economy and combined with the cost of bank bailouts has always meant that the exchequer would need to make up the deficit when recovery comes- either through spending cuts, tax rises or indeed both. But to start ahead of recovery sends mixed signals. Alistair darling will be well aware of the political and economic consequences of such action and so I suspect we will see something at least politically cleverer emerging from his Gladstone box even if this budget won't be anything like as spectacular as the last time we saw him. We shouldn't forget that if the banks are put into decent working order, their de-nationalisation could give a huge boost to the public finances. But despite good banking news of recent weeks, with notable share price rallies, bank recovery can only result from broader economic recovery - it cannot lead it as one might usually expect."
Dr Stephen Barber has a PhD in Politics and is a leading economist. He is happy to talk further or write articles on this subject or any of the topics listed below.
You may also want to watch:
? Personal finance: ISAs, SIPPs, CTFs, etc.
? Investing: Shares, bonds, ETFs, covered warrants, etc.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
? Portfolio management and asset allocation
? Politics and economic policy