Budding Letchworth fashion student’s bold designs are perfect send off as 23-year-old embarks on colourful career
- Credit: Archant
A budding designer from Letchworth wowed the crowds at the University of Hertfordshire fashion show and sewed up the student award to boot.
Alison Teare’s bold designs saw her take home the Maria Grachvogel award for most innovative pattern cutting at the high-profile event, which was held at The Yard in Shoreditch.
The 23-year-old’s final collection was inspired by architecture, sculpture and organic shapes created by a dancer, ‘combining layering, drapery fluid lines to create a light and effortless style’.
Alison said: “I’m completely thrilled to have been named as a student award winner at this year’s fashion show and delighted that my work has been recognised in this way, as there were so many amazing, high-quality collections featured in this year’s event.
“I’ve had an interest in art, painting fabrics and putting outfits together since I was young so it made sense for me to study fashion design – it really is my passion.
“In particular my final year has been amazing – it has been great to see my ideas develop from something small into a final collection.
“This award really is the icing on the cake for me.”
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 6 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 7 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
Having spent a year working with Preen and Richard Nicoll, Laura now hopes to go on to a successful career in the fashion industry where she can develop her sewing and pattern cutting skills.