Burst Hitchin water main causes severe rush hour delays this morning – as busy Willow Lane is still shut for repairs
- Credit: Archant
There were severe delays on the A505 after a burst water main in Hitchin created havoc during this morning’s rush hour – as a busy through road remains closed to traffic.
A 7in water main ruptured on Moormead Hill creating tailbacks and delaying drivers on their way to work and the school run in and around Willow Lane and the junction to the A505.
The water main burst around 4.30pm yesterday, with Affinity Water technicians working on repairs throughout the night. The trench was more than two and a half metres deep – causing a lot of damage to the road.
The repairs to the water mains were completed around midday today, with work now underway to repair the road – but Willow Lane will remain closed until the work is finished tomorrow.
A motorist who was stuck in the traffic this morning told the Comet: “It was really bad along the A505 between Luton and Hitchin.
“The delay was very frustrating – a journey that normally takes me 20 to 25 minutes took me an hour this morning.”
An spokesman for Affinity Water said: “We are sorry for any inconvenience caused. We’d like to thank customers for their patience while we carry out these repairs.”
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf