Building work starts at Hitchin Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
Building work on a £4.39million project to transform a town hall and create a new North Hertfordshire Museum began today (Monday).
The project at Hitchin Town Hall is scheduled to last until approximately November 2014 with the new building expected to open to the public in April 2015. This follows the appointment last week of contractors Borras Construction Ltd to carry out the works.
The project to create the new museum and redevelop the town hall is being driven by North Herts District Council (NHDC) in partnership with community group Hitchin Town Hall Ltd.
Both have provided funding for the project with the additional support of a grant from Heritage Lottery Fund and a loan from Adventure Capital Fund.
As well as a prominent entrance to the museum, there will be improved physical access and additional space for modern museum displays.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be enhanced opportunities for participation and far more of North Hertfordshire’s heritage will be on display than ever before. There will also be a dedicated learning and activity space for schools and special interest groups, a local studies room, and a café that will benefit the whole community.
Cllr Tony Hunter, NHDC’s portfolio holder for community engagement said: “Many people have worked long and hard to turn this ambitious project into a reality. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed to reaching today’s significant milestone.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“The North Hertfordshire Museum and new-look town hall will be a wonderful asset for the district and is a great example of how the council and the local community can work together to achieve the best result for all.”