Building begins on Hitchin homes and hotel
- Credit: Archant
Phase one of building works for flats and a hotel on the former Royal Mail Hitchin sorting office has begun.
The project will include the block fronting Hermitage Road, with commercial units at ground floor and 11 residential apartments above.
Behind this, fronting Portmill Lane, will be the 60 bedroom Premier Inn hotel.
Mark Shadbolt director of Whitebarn Developments, who own the development, said: “We always seek to deliver high quality developments, and so we have given a great deal of thought to the design and specification of the apartments, which all have balconies, en suite bathrooms, open plan living spaces and a lift.
“The residential component is called The Grange, which is taken from an old medieval house of the same name, which previously occupied the site before it was used as a sorting office.”
You may also want to watch:
Putterills New Homes and Country Properties have been appointed on the residential sales.
At the rear of the development is the former Grade II listed building which belonged to Hawkins Solicitors.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
The building has been brought by North Hertfordshire Homes.
Kevin Thompson, North Hertfordshire Homes chief executive, said: “We have been looking for a more suitable building to re-locate our Hitchin neighbourhood office to. We are very pleased to have acquired the Grade II listed building on the corner of Portmill Lane and Bancroft which means we will be right in the heart of Hitchin town centre.”
Works of the former sorting office will be complete Easter 2015.