British cult favourite filmed in Stevenage to be re-released
A CULT classic filmed in Comet country which followed the exploits of a sex-obsessed teenager will be re-released on DVD and Blu-ray next week, 42 years after it first hit cinema screens.
Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, which will be on the shelves in its new format from Monday, is filled with the distinctive sights and sounds of late-1960s Stevenage as protagonist Jamie (Barry Evans) attempts to make the most of the swinging 60s and find “a pink bus full of birds”.
Based on the novel by Hunter Davies, filming for the movie began in April 1967 and features many well-known Stevenage locations and landmarks including the bus station, town centre, Bowes Lyon House and the Joyride Platform.
Judy Geeson and Denholm Elliot also star in the Clive Donner-directed film, which attracted Paul McCartney, The Animals, The Who, Joan Collins and Michael Caine to its London Pavilion premiere in 1968.
The British Film Institute (BFI) has produced a re-mastered high definition presentation as part of its Flipside strand, which aims to rescue weird and wonderful British films from obscurity.
You may also want to watch:
The BFI has restored cuts made to the film at the request of the British Board of Film Classification on its original release and the disc will also include Stevenage as a special feature, a documentary celebration of Britain’s first New Town.
Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush will be stocked in Stevenage’s HMV store from Monday and is available to buy from all good retailers.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
*For more shots from the film see this week’s The Comet out tomorrow (Thursday).