Bright new look for Letchworth shopping precinct
A MAKEOVER costing half a million pounds has transformed the look of The Arcade in Letchworth GC. It was in 1996 when Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation bought the popular covered shopping precinct in the heart of the town centre and undertook a m
A MAKEOVER costing half a million pounds has transformed the look of The Arcade in Letchworth GC.
It was in 1996 when Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation bought the popular covered shopping precinct in the heart of the town centre and undertook a major refurbishment the following year.
This included a new roof, repainting, a new entrance out to The Wynd and improved signage.
Now, 12 years on and with The Arcade having a direct link to the proposed new Wynd redevelopment, the new facelift was completed on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Consultants Design Interface produced a scheme with the specific aim of retaining the traditional charm of The Arcade, but incorporating a fresh, inviting look for both retailers and shoppers.
The refurbishment included improving the visibility of The Arcade, with canopies at Leys Avenue and Station Road, incorporating seating and planting, introducing a new lighting scheme, a new decorative colour palette, improving signage and replacing the existing concrete paving with tiles.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Stuart Kenny, the Heritage Foundation's director general, said: "I am delighted with the improvement to The Arcade following the refurbishment. My thanks go to the retailers who we consulted on our proposals and who have been hugely supportive throughout.