Bride left in lurch following wedding cancellation
- Credit: Archant
THE future of a hotel complex and conference centre and wedding venue is in doubt as new management prepares to take over.
The former Blakemore House in Little Wymondley is expected to be under the management of European conference operator Châteauform within the next few months.
As a result, weddings at the venue have been cancelled, along with other functions, while negotiations are underway.
Gemma Thurgood, 25, of Arlesey, was due to marry childhood sweetheart Daniel Crowhurst there in June, to mark 10 years of being a couple.
But they have been forced to find another venue after finding out just last week their dream wedding could not be held at the hotel.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Thurgood said: “For the budget we had, it was the best of anywhere we could find. It was what we wanted.
“I was devastated. I booked quite a while ago, because we really wanted to get married on our 10th anniversary.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“We had booked the honeymoon suite at the Travelodge and can’t get a refund.”
The couple have luckily found another venue for the date they want to get married, but have been faced with having to reorganise and shuffle other bookings.
“We have booked lots of things and we had to transfer everything,” added Miss Thurgood.
According to property website Rightmove, the hotel has been renamed Needham House.
The Comet attempted to contact Châteauform and former leaseholders Travelodge, but at the time of going to press, did not receive a response.
A spokesman from Richmond Catering, which operated functions and weddings, said: “The management of Blakemore House have refunded all monies that have been paid for events or functions that have been booked.”