Who is your MP backing to become the next Prime Minister?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Across the Herts and Beds region, your Conservative MPs have been backing different candidates who are all vying to become the next party leader and Prime Minister.
The candidate list has been whittled down to the final 10, and the first hustings are well under way.
Nadine Dorries, MP for Mid Befordshire, will be supporting Boris Johnson's campaign. She praised his speech at the BackBoris launch yesterday and earlier this week shared an article calling Boris a "real feminist." On Twitter, she declared: "The only man to save the country from Corbyn is Boris."
Alistair Burt, MP for North East Beds, has publically backed Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, in his leadership bid. He described Hunt's campaign launch as "really positive." He also sees a bright future after Brexit under Hunt.
"Serious times ahead need real experience - he [Hunt] displayed that in front of colleagues."
You may also want to watch:
Sir Oliver Heald, MP for North East Herts, is also siding with Jeremy Hunt. He tweeted: "Glad to see Jeremy Hunt making real progress in the leadership process."
MP for Hitchin and Harpenden, Bim Afolami, is backing Matt Hancock for Prime Minister. He says the country needs a leader with a plan and one who can move Britain beyond Brexit.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Stephen McPartland, MP for Stevenage, was the last of our MPs to declare. He said that after listening to local people and all the candidates, he will be supporting Boris Johnson. "He is the only candidate who can both deliver Brexit on time and unite our great country once more," he tweeted.
Conservative MPs have been secretly voting for their new leader today. Only those who receive 17 or more votes will progress to the next round of the contest.
The candidates that have been eliminated are Andrea Leadsom, Esther McVey and Mark Harper, meaning your MPs's candidates are still in the race.
In the coming weeks, the final two candidates with the most support will go head to head for the keys to Number 10.