Brave switch leads Hitchin’s Rafe to brink of national camera honour
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin Camera Club member who changed his career two years ago to become a full-time snapper has been shortlisted for a prestigious national photography award.
Passionate camera club stalwart Rafe Abrook has made the final 12 for the Best Wedding Photographer at the 2016 UK Wedding Awards.
Dad of two Rafe, 41, had a high-powered job in the corporate world as a sales account manager but made the move to launch Rafe Abrook Photography in 2014 – after considering the idea for a while following the birth of his now nine-year-old son Taylor, whose arrival was followed by younger brother Roscoe two years later.
Rafe’s wife Melanie bought him a digital SLR camera so he could record the pair’s progress – and he’s never looked back.
He said: “I’m passionate about photography and joined camera clubs including Hitchin Camera club to learn more.
You may also want to watch:
“I eventually had a discussion with my wife about me pursuing a career in photography when I fell out of love with what I was doing in my previous role.
“It was a big step as we had the mortgage and two kids but she has been a great support.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
“The light went out on one career in August 2014 and went on for another literally the next day. I had to build everything from scratch.
“It’s been hard work but I love what I do, and I’m happy I made that leap.
“After just one full wedding season under my belt as a full-time wedding photographer I’m delighted to have been shortlisted for such a renowned award. I was a bit sceptical when I heard about the listing but it’s great to be recognised by my industry.
“I’ve worked hard and put myself through some of the UK’s finest wedding photography trainers such as The Trained Eye, and Nine Dots.
“And I’ve invested in the very best high end Canon equipment that can get me amazing shots from the very worst lighting conditions – for example any church!”
A public vote will decide the winner – you can vote for the talented Rafe at www.hitched.co.uk/awards.
For more information visit www.rafeabrook.co.uk or call Rafe on 07535 265739.