Brave elderly pair from Hitchin scare away cowardly burglar who claimed to be a policeman
- Credit: Archant
A cowardly burglar claiming to be a police officer was scared off by a brave elderly couple in Hitchin after he broke in through a front window.
The man surprised two pensioners in their house in Kingswood Avenue around 6.15pm on Saturday.
The couple were watching TV in a back room when they heard a noise and went to investigate. They were faced with a man in their hallway.
He told her he was a police officer but the elderly woman screamed at him to leave. The would-be thief then ran away through the back of the house.
Police have confirmed nothing was taken.
You may also want to watch:
If you have any information on this incident call 101 quoting crime reference G1/16/2816.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed