Brassed Off? Not likely when the brilliant Hitchin Band are heading for the Premier League!
- Credit: Archant
Never mind Brassed Off – the renowned Hitchin Band are heading for a heart-warming story of their own as they head for the ‘Premier League’ of brass bands!
The much-loved band who celebrated their 150th birthday last year are a single point away from competing at the top level of national bands following another successful regional round of the British Brass Band Championships.
The band also qualified for prestigious national finals later this year at a hotly-contested competition held at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre at the weekend.
Their ongoing success marks their meteoric rise through the ranks after promotion from the third and second tiers of brass band competition.
The band also released a CD called ‘Because’ back in December, which celebrates the band’s history and successes and is still available to buy from Hitchin Initiative and Henderson’s on Market Place.
Mike Thorn from the band told the Comet: “It was an awesome day for Hitchin band. We’re absolutely delighted.
“We had a top three placing for the second year running in the first section – which means we are going to the national finals held in Cheltenham in September.
- 1 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 2 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 8 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 9 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
“We’re also only one point away from promotion to the championship section – which is the equivalent of the Premier League in football!”
As a legacy of last year’s 150th anniversary, the band launched a section called the Hitchin Community Brass which means the organisation now runs three brass bands including Hitchin Youth Band.