Bowls club to find new home after eviction from Knebworth health centre
A BOWLS club is looking for a new venue after its lease of 15 years was not renewed.
Roebuck Bowls Club is currently homeless after Odyssey Health and Racquet Club in Knebworth told members they would not have their lease renewed because of “operational issues”.
The decision was met with anger by the club. Secretary Steve Kilford said the lack of notice has left next season in doubt.
“It was a surprise. We’ve been trying for a couple of years to have discussions to renew the lease – they put us off and put us off.”
The centre indicated it was unlikely the lease would be renewed last April, but management said they didn’t see any reason why they could not continue to play on the green, Mr Kilford said.
You may also want to watch:
An appeal against an eviction notice in September was rejected by Odyssey last week, and the club is now in talks with Stevenage Borough Council to use the bowling facilities on King George V Playing Fields.
Odyssey operations director Stephen Aucott there are no plans in place to develop the bowling green and club house area of the health centre, but would not elaborate on the “operational issues” behind the move.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“We have no formal plans for the site, other than trying to make Odyssey the best local independent health club we can,” he added.