Boro to hold benefit game in honour of Mitchell Cole
Former players and managers to come together in May for end of season match
Stevenage will host a benefit game in May in memory of former player Mitchell Cole who died at the weekend.
Boro chairman Phil Wallace is contacting a number of former players and members of management to take part, and former boss Graham Westley has already agreed to manage for 45 minutes. Wallace is hoping to contact another former manager, Mark Stimson, who brought Cole to Stevenage, to manage the other 45 for the match which will be played at the Lamex Stadium.
Wallace said: “It’s such a sad, tragic loss of a young life. Mitch was a key figure for us in the seasons that saw us enjoy a lot of success.
“We all knew of his condition but it’s simply devastating that a young family with such spirit is taken from us so suddenly. Our hearts go out to his family and also to the players and management that worked with him at Stevenage in his three years with us.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be a fitting tribute to honour Mitch on the football pitch and I’ve already had offers of help and encouragement from Graham and skipper Mark Roberts to contact the people involved in his daily life here, so that they can be a part of a day to celebrate his life.”
If any supporter wishes to send cards for the family, they can send them to the club which will ensure that all are passed on to his family.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
Flowers can be placed at the foot of the club’s fixture board, across the SBFC bricks, in remembrance of his time playing for us.