Boro history: this week in... 2006
- Credit: Archant
Starting on the path that led to a historic cup win
In 2006/7, Stevenage’s 3-2 win over Kidderminster Harriers in the FA Trophy final saw the club make history as the first team to win silverware at the newly-reopened Wembley Stadium.
It was in this week in 2006 that the club started out on the path that led them to glory.
On December 16, Merthyr Tydfil made the long journey across from the Welsh valleys for a first round tie that was to be dominated by one man.
In a magical five-minute spell after half-time, the Southern League side had been completely blown away by George Boyd.
You may also want to watch:
The difference in quality was evident from the off, but Boro were unable to find an opener – and could even have fallen behind.
But the frustration was eased on 30 minutes when a corner broke loose in the area for Boyd to get the hosts up and running.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
Not long after, Merthyr’s Jamie Rewbury was sent off – but Boro failed to make any further inroads before the interval.
Within 10 minutes of the restart, however, the mercurial Boyd dazzled and demoralised the visitors’ defence with three quick-fire goals.
Boyd then laid on a fifth goal for Steve Morison before leaving the pitch to a standing ovation.
Boro added two further goals from Steve Guppy and Craig Dobson to inflict a crushing defeat on Merthyr, but not before the East Terrace willed them on to find a consolation.
Five months later, the club was lifting the Trophy under Wembley’s new Arch.
* Pete Hayman runs BoroGuide, the Stevenage FC internet resource. For more information visit www.boroguide.co.uk or follow him on twitter @boroguide