Boro face big job to stay up - Westley
- Credit: Archant
Graham Westley conceded that it will take a “massive effort” for Stevenage to retain their League One status.
But he hastily added that it took the same level of commitment to earn a spot in the division during Stevenage’s 2010/11 promotion campaign.
“It’s a big job to retain our League One status but we had to fight to get it in the first place and it took a massive effort after Christmas in 2011 in order for us to become a League One club,” Westly said today from the team’s Bragbury End base.
“We need a massive effort now but there is a determination and a desire building in the squad. We’re looking forward to the challenge ahead; it’s a great opportunity for us to stand up and be counted.”
In the way of Boro’s climb up the table this weekend stands Crawley, who occupy 15th place and are unbeaten in their last three league games.
You may also want to watch:
In the last meeting between the sides Peter Harltley and Michael Doughty fired Stevenage to a 2-0 win at the Lamex Stadium.
“The squad is looking bright, fresh and confident and is looking forward to next game,” said Westley.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“The keys to winning the game are we have to work harder than the opposition and be better than them on the day, it’s that simple. You can over-complicate things but we have to be better in our one-one-one match ups and in our team work ethic we got to be prepared to do whatever it take to win the game.”