Boro face big job to stay up - Westley
- Credit: Archant
Graham Westley conceded that it will take a “massive effort” for Stevenage to retain their League One status.
But he hastily added that it took the same level of commitment to earn a spot in the division during Stevenage’s 2010/11 promotion campaign.
“It’s a big job to retain our League One status but we had to fight to get it in the first place and it took a massive effort after Christmas in 2011 in order for us to become a League One club,” Westly said today from the team’s Bragbury End base.
“We need a massive effort now but there is a determination and a desire building in the squad. We’re looking forward to the challenge ahead; it’s a great opportunity for us to stand up and be counted.”
In the way of Boro’s climb up the table this weekend stands Crawley, who occupy 15th place and are unbeaten in their last three league games.
In the last meeting between the sides Peter Harltley and Michael Doughty fired Stevenage to a 2-0 win at the Lamex Stadium.
“The squad is looking bright, fresh and confident and is looking forward to next game,” said Westley.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
- 10 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
“The keys to winning the game are we have to work harder than the opposition and be better than them on the day, it’s that simple. You can over-complicate things but we have to be better in our one-one-one match ups and in our team work ethic we got to be prepared to do whatever it take to win the game.”