Boro draw a blank at Newport County
Craig Reid strike sinks Stevenage in south Wales
Newport County 1 Stevenage 0
A CRAIG Reid goal condemned Stevenage to their second defeat of pre-season in south Wales on Saturday.
The Newport striker put his shot past Boro ‘keeper Chris Day in the 52nd minute of a competitive but uneventful game after which both sides blamed the other for being physical and, in some parts, much too aggressive.
You may also want to watch:
Boro boss Graham Westley had planned this trip as an opportunity for his players to get back to preparing themselves for long away trips ahead of the new campaign, but the 160-mile return may have left the manager with a few other concerns.
Boto lacked a cutting edge in the final third with only Joel Byrom’s free kick testing Glyn Thompson in the Newport goal and although Westley will know he has a number of strikers more than capable of firing Boro to victory this season Boro have failed to find the back of the net in three of their last five matches.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
If this continues on Monday evening at Hitchin Town then Westley, who has already suggested he is in the market for another striker, could find himself dipping into the club’s bank account.
Stevenage (4-3-3): Day, Henry, Bostwick, Roberts, Laird, Long (Foster, 68), Mousinho (Sinclair, 68), Byrom (Bridges, 83), Odubade (Winn, 78), Beardsley (Boylan, 78), Griffin (Sills, 78).