Boro captain impressed by new summer signings
BORO skipper Mark Roberts has been impressed by the calibre of the club s new signings this summer. Five new faces will join up with the rest of the Boro squad for the start of pre-season training at the end of the month and Roberts, who was named as Stev
BORO skipper Mark Roberts has been impressed by the calibre of the club's new signings this summer.
Five new faces will join up with the rest of the Boro squad for the start of pre-season training at the end of the month and Roberts, who was named as Steve Morison's successor as captain last month, feels manager Graham Westley will have a wealth of options to choose from when he comes to naming his starting line-up for the first game of the season in August.
One player Roberts knows all about is Joel Byrom from their days at Northwich Victoria together. Byrom joined Boro for �15,000 last month and Roberts believes the club has bagged themselves a bargain.
"He is a fantastic footballer," Roberts told The Comet. "He has been a bit unlucky with injuries recently but hopefully we can see the best of him at Stevenage.
"He was on fire in pre-season last year and I think he scored about six or seven goals in two games. As I said, he's a very talented player and will be an excellent player for us."
Charlie Griffin, Yemi Odubade, Chris Beardsley and Stacy Long have also been brought in and Roberts feels the side will be a force to be feared in the Blue Square Premier next season.
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 8 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 9 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
"We have brought in some really good players. We know what Charlie Griffin is all about as he scored a couple against us last season. Fortunately, we scored four but you could see that he had a bit of quality about him.
"He will also give us a different option up there and that's where I think we've done well in the transfer market. We've got lots of different combinations open to us and that can only be a good thing.
"There are going to be four or five players fighting for places up there.