Boro bosses proud as Stevenage hold high flying Pompey to a draw
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage assistant manager Kevin Watson was a proud man as Boro left it late to earn a point from a 1-1 draw at Portsmouth.
Brett Williams headed in an injury time equaliser at Fratton Park to cancel out Conor Chaplin’s effort for the hosts.
Watson, carrying out media duties on behalf of manager Teddy Sheringham after the game, said: “Even at 1-0 I thought we’d been terrific all night.
“We kept our shape well, we defended well, limited a very good team to very few chances, the boys defended excellently as a team and you always felt we were going to get another chance in the game.
“We’re a big side now with the bodies we have and it was a set-piece that got us the goal, but I think it was thoroughly deserved on the basis of how we played all night.”
You may also want to watch:
The result sees Stevenage unbeaten in three Sky Bet League Two games and they head to Northampton Town on Saturday looking to make that four.
“It’s three very good results now and we’ve got to build on that,” added Watson.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“We’ve come to a team that were second in the league on the night playing in front of 14-15,000 people and done terrifically well.
“We’re really proud of them, I would have been proud of them if we’d have walked off at 1-0, that’s not a good thing to say, but the boys were brilliant.
“The travelling support tonight, fair play to them for coming down on a Tuesday all the way down here well played to those guys too. We appreciate it.”