Boost for Stevenage hospital playroom appeal
THOUSANDS of pounds have already been raised for a hospital appeal to build a new children’s playroom.
The Magic of Play appeal was launched by the East and North Herts Hospitals Charity two months ago, with businesses and groups already pitching in for the cause.
A target of £250,000 has been set to create a playroom at Lister Hospital in Stevenage with dedicated areas for children with cancer, other serious conditions and those who have been victims of sexual abuse.
Cheques totalling about £5,000 have been received from the Association of Welding Distribution, Weldability Sif in Letchworth GC, the Hertfordshire head office for Tesco and the 1st Welwyn Garden City Cubs.
The chairman of the Association of Welding Distribution, Adrian Hawkins, who is from Stevenage, presented a cheque to the charity alongside one from Weldability Sif, which he runs with his wife Jennie.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “My mother ran the first all day children’s nursery in Stevenage from the ‘60s to the ‘80s and sadly the portable buildings at Lister Hospital reminded me of the facilities in regular use back then.
“Whilst the Government is spending considerable sums at Lister, this area which exists to help sick children recuperate has sadly been overlooked and I am only too happy to be associated with such a worthwhile cause.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
For more information about how you can support the Magic of Play appeal, backed by former TV presenter Esther Rantzen, call Zoe Doherty on 01438 286142 or email firstname.lastname@example.org