Bodycam footage shows how police dog Blue hunted down joy-rider near Baldock
- Credit: Archant
Police have today released bodycam footage showing how a police dog hunted down a joy-rider during two-mile cross-country pursuit near Baldock.
Elroy Samuel, of Boscombe Court in Letchworth – who is now behind bars – led police on a car chase through the town after refusing to stop for patrol officers on the A507 on September 26 last year.
After crashing into another car, the 26-year-old fled on foot for almost an hour before being found by PD Blue and his handler in thick undergrowth near Stotfold.
Officers patrolling on the A507 at Baldock signalled Samuel, who was driving a black BMW convertible, to stop at about 4.20pm on the day of the incident.
He ignored this and subsequently crashed into a silver Nissan in Norton Mill Lane, just north of the town, after which he fled on foot. The driver of the other car was not injured.
You may also want to watch:
Officers pursuing Samuel lost sight of him and requested assistance from the Beds, Cambs and Herts Dog Unit, who sent PD Blue and his handler.
They arrived within 10 minutes, and German shepherd Blue immediately picked up Samuel’s scent.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The footage shows how Blue’s nose led his handler down a footpath and into thick bushes, then across a knee-deep stream.
He continued to track over fences, fields and another stream before finding a jacket thought to belong to the suspect.
The determined canine followed the scent down country lanes and into farmyards before leading his handler towards the A507.
After a track covering two miles and lasting almost an hour, Blue discovered Samuel hiding in thick undergrowth near the road, not far from Stotfold. He was then arrested.
In addition to his two-year jail term, Samuel will also be disqualified from driving for three years, after which he will be required to take a fresh driving test.