Blaze destroys portacabins at Hitchin Cricket Club
- Credit: Archant
A blaze destroyed portacabins at a popular sports facility in Hitchin last night.
The fire service believe the inferno was deliberately started at Hitchin Cricket Club at Lucas Lane just after 6pm last night.
Fire engines were called to the site which the club shares with Blueharts Hockey Club and the flames were put out before 7pm.
Chairman Ian Mills told the Comet: “The fire at the club was the portacabins which have been completely destroyed.
“Thankfully the clubhouse itself was not damaged as the fire services got there in time – a big thank you to Herts fire service for their assistance.”
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of a junior game at the ground last night the club’s twitter account @HitchinCC posted a picture of the fire saying: “That’ll be a delayed start at Lucas Lane then thanks to the locals!”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed