Black spot road takes another life
A young motorcyclist was fatally injured on Friday morning close to an accident black spot where a pedestrian was killed three weeks ago. Russell Brooks, 26, of Warkworth Close, Sandy, was on his way to work at a Bedford hotel when the tragedy happened al
A young motorcyclist was fatally injured on Friday morning close to an accident black spot where a pedestrian was killed three weeks ago.
Russell Brooks, 26, of Warkworth Close, Sandy, was on his way to work at a Bedford hotel when the tragedy happened almost opposite Frosts Garden Centre at Willington on the A603 at 10.55am.
Police say Mr Brooks had overtaken a car when, as he caught up with other traffic and for reasons unknown, he lost control of his machine and fell into the opposite carriageway where he collided with a vehicle heading towards Sandy.
He was taken to Bedford Hospital South Wing where he died that day from his injuries.
Mr Brooks, who was married, worked at The Barns Hotel and Restaurant in Cardington Road, Bedford, where he was the food and beverages manager having started work there in April.
Friends there were devastated by the tragic news. A spokesman said: "His death has shocked everyone.
- 1 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 4 COVID-19 cases plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
- 5 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 6 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 7 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 8 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 9 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 10 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
"He was a well liked and respected member of the team here and will be sadly missed by us all.
"Our thoughts are now with his wife and family at this sad time."
Bouquets of flowers were left on the side of the road at the scene of the accident site by family and friends and where police also set up a notice appealing for witnesses.
Anyone who was travelling along the A603 at the time of the accident should contact the investigating officer Pc Terry Nesbitt at the Bedfordshire Police collision unit on 01234 842459.
An inquest was opened and adjourned into the tragedy on Monday where the cause of Mr Brooks' death was given as severe head injuries.