Bizarre fight leads to swan's death
COMMOTION brought shoppers to a halt this morning (Tuesday) when a swan came under attack in a bizarre three-way fight. Two women dragged the young swan out of the river Hiz by Hitchin Market after it was first attacked by a dog and then when it trie
COMMOTION brought shoppers to a halt this morning (Tuesday) when a swan came under attack in a bizarre three-way fight.
Two women dragged the young swan out of the river Hiz by Hitchin Market after it was first attacked by a dog and then when it tried to escape, another swan.
Ann Norton from Letchworth and her cousin Mandy Simcock from Baldock were going about their weekly shop on the market when chaos broke out on the river in front of St Mary's Church.
Ann said: "Two drinkers were there with a dog and it attacked a young swan. When it tried to escape into the water there was a big male swan who tried to drown it.
You may also want to watch:
"We managed to drag the swan out of the water. We sat there for nearly an hour with the swan with a towel until the RSPCA turned up.
"The RSPCA have said it will have to be put down - the dog broke its leg."
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
She added: "Of course the drinkers with the dog went off. It is such a shame, for the past year people going to the market have watched it grow up from a signet. And now it has grown up it will have to be put down.