Bin shed targeted in ‘mindless’ Hitchin arson
- Credit: Archant
A bin shed was set on fire in Hitchin at the weekend, and police are investigating what is being treated as arson.
Police said the shed in Wedgewood Road, containing five wheelie bins, was set on fire between 1.20am and 1.30am on Saturday.
A wheelie bin was also put on fire in the street.
Two engines from Hitchin fire station attended to deal with the incident, on a night when snow left many motorists stranded. Crews had the fires out by 2.20am.
The arson has been widely condemned on social media as “mindless”, “shocking” and “utterly stupid”.
You may also want to watch:
One neighbour posted: “Such a selfish act – so close to the flats, cars and trees. Very lucky that it didn’t get more out of control.”
Anyone with information that could help police should call 101, quoting crime reference G1/18/698, or report online at herts.police.uk/report. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction