Bill saddles up for a long haul
A 44-YEAR-OLD man is set to cycle nearly 900 miles in a bid to raise £50,000 for charity. Property services director for Barchester Healthcare, Bill Wilson, of Quinn Way, Letchworth, is hoping to cover the distance of 874 miles in just nine days. Bill wil
A 44-YEAR-OLD man is set to cycle nearly 900 miles in a bid to raise £50,000 for charity.
Property services director for Barchester Healthcare, Bill Wilson, of Quinn Way, Letchworth, is hoping to cover the distance of 874 miles in just nine days.
Bill will visit 22 Barchester Healthcare homes on his journey - starting at Marriot House in Chichester and finishing at Pentland View in Thurso, Scotland.
All money raised will be donated to three charities - The Barchester Healthcare Foundation, St Wilfrid's Hospice and The Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
Bill said: "St. Wilfrid's Hospice in Chichester is a very special place close to my heart. The staff there cared for my mum until her death earlier this year and she considered many of the nurses and carers as her friends."
The Barchester Healthcare Foundation looks after adults with a physical or mental disability and the Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice cares for patients with cancer, motor neurone disease and other terminal illnesses.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
Bill is keen for people to cycle any stage of the ride with him and he is also looking for volunteer drivers and navigators.
A certificate will be awarded to all who complete one or more stages and champagne prizes will also be up for grabs.
Bill's journey begins tomorrow (Friday).
So far he has raised more than £24,000 but he is hoping to reach his £50,000 target.
To volunteer to take part in part of the ride or to sponsor Bill, email email@example.com or call 0207 349 4417.