Biggleswade woman who lost battle with small cell ovarian cancer is inspiration behind pioneering research programme
- Credit: Archant
A Biggleswade woman who lost her battle with small cell ovarian cancer more than three years ago has been vaunted as the inspiration behind a pioneering research programme.
When Angela Butcher was diagnosed with the rare and aggressive disease, both she and her family – dad Mike, mum Linda and brother Mark – were amazed that so little research had been carried out to offer an effective treatment.
Despite this, Angela remained positive and set about changing this by fundraising to initiate research and give hope to others.
After her death – on January 1, 2013 – Angela’s family continued her mission, and her Research Fund now stands at more than £45,000.
On Friday, Athena Lamnisos – who is chief executive of women’s cancer charity The Eve Appeal – gave the family some welcome news.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “The Small Cell Ovarian Cancer Research Project, which aims to develop international research collaboration and a patient research registry, has officially started and is accredited to Angela Butcher from Biggleswade.
“She has been the inspiration and focus of this pioneering research programme.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
After hearing the news Linda said: “Friday was a very special day – Angela did it.”
The family’s first challenge now is to find enough patients to agree to take part in this research programme. Anyone with small cell ovarian cancer can call 01223 746716 if they are interested.
Small cell ovarian cancer is now featured on The Eve Appeal’s website (www.eveappeal.org.uk) and a research collaboration and patient registry has now been set up at www.sc-ovca.org