Biggleswade tip set for short-term closure to allow for improvements to take place
- Credit: Archant
The Biggleswade tip is set for a short-term closure to allow for improvements to be made to the Bells Brook site.
Biggleswade Household Waste Recycling Centre will close for three days on Tuesday, with regular users of the site encouraged to either hold onto their rubbish or use either the Ampthill or Dunstable sites as an alternative.
Improvement work that will be carried out is based on residents’ feedback to Central Bedfordshire Council since the site opened and involves levelling off the kerb.
The kerbing is a standard feature of similar style facilities across the country, however some people have accidently tripped so it has been decided that these alterations are necessary to keep site users safe.
This additional work will not affect the other Household Waste Recycling Centres as these improvements have been included within the build, as can be seen at the newly redeveloped Ampthill site.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Brian Spurr, who is responsible for community services at the unitary authority, said: “We have constantly had good reports about Biggleswade Household Waste Recycling Centre.
“However, one standard feature that is used in most other recycling centres of this type has caused us a problem.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
“The small kerb that protects pedestrians using the walkway from cars has caused a number of trips and we want to eliminate any issues, so we are modifying this.”
The site will reopen at 9pm on Friday, 12 August when normal 9am to 5pm opening hours will apply.
For more information and for opening times of tips across Central Bedfordshire go to www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/tidy-tips.