Biggleswade rugby club kicks off fundraising night for players it lost to cancer
- Credit: Archant
A rugby club which has lost many members to cancer is holding a fundraising event to raise cash for cancer support.
Long time player and supporter of Biggleswade Rugby Club, Simon Jarvis, has organised the fundraising day for Saturday May 6 to raise £10,000 – enough to pay for two Macmillan nurses to care for patients for two months.
Simon tsaid: “I know it doesn’t seem a lot but every little counts when fighting cancer, as well we all know.
“I have played rugby for Biggleswade for many years and been a keen supporter as well.
“In that time we have lost some great people to cancer and we will all know someone who is fighting it at the moment.”
You may also want to watch:
Former club members who lost their lives to the disease include founder member John Jordan, Bob ‘the Bugle’ Bakewell, Zolton Petrovics – known as Zip – and Geoff Simmonds.
Simon told the Comet: “Please try and help me raise as much money as possible for such a great charity.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
The fundraising day will begin with a rugby match between Team Thunder and Biggleswade Rugby Club who will play off for the Bob ‘the Bugle’ Bakewell Trophy, at 2:30pm.
It is free to watch the event.
After the rugby match there will be an evening of live entertainment hosted by comedian Jeremy O’Donnell and also featuring local musicians Mr Rainmaker, Nick Moyster, Sophie Kitchener and Helen Grant.
There will also be a lip sync challenge and a fireworks display, a bar, hog roast, drinks and refreshments, a bouncy castle, gladiator jousting, a tombola and three raffles.
Prizes include two tickets to the Aviva premiership final at the end of May, a helicopter flight for two courtesy of Airbourne Solutions Ltd of Gamlingay, punting for twelve from Let’s Go Punting of Cambridge, and an aerobatic flight with 10 times aerobatic champion Mark Jefferies of Little Gransden Airfield.
Tickets are £5 for adults and £2 for under 16s and are available, along with raffle tickets, from Biggleswade Rugby Club, Blinds Interiors & Gifts in High Street Biggleswade. You can also get them from email@example.com or by phoning Simon on 07713 088792.