Biggleswade Rotary Club Swimathon 2018: Making a splash for charity
- Credit: Archant
Fundraisers made a splash for charity over the weekend at the Biggleswade Rotary Club’s annual Swimathon.
The feast of swimming, held at the town’s Saxon Pool & Leisure Centre, gave teams of all ages the chance to raise funds for the charity of their choice and for Rotary at the same time.
Biggleswade Swimming Club’s Squadtuplets swam the highest number of lengths within the 50-minute time limit, covering the distance 140 times – and Barbara Hazell from the organising team said the event had been a success.
“We had a good turnout, especially on Sunday, and everyone who enters appears to enjoy it,” she said.
“This year we were sponsored by Norton Way Mazda, who parked a Mazda MX4 outside the swimming pool – which caused some interest.
“We also run a draw for all swimmers entered, and Mazda offered the prize of a car of the winner’s choice for the weekend.
“A good time was had by all.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
The teams included swimmers from Biggleswade’s Dunton Youth Club, Biggleswade Swimming Club, Etonbury Academy in Arlesey, and Ivel Valley School in Biggleswade.
The Biggleswade and District Choral Society also entered, as did the 1st Sandy Guides, Biggleswade community choir The Amici Singers, Hitchin Town Football Club, and Biggleswade Rotary Club.
There were also swimmers representing St Bartholomew’s Church of Great Gransden, a village north-east of Potton, and the Caldecote CE Academy Parent, Teacher and Friends Association.
If you’re interested in joining Biggleswade Rotary Club or would like to find out more, email Barbara on email@example.com.