Biggleswade Athletic Club youngster jumping for joy after climbing UK rankings
- Credit: Archant
A Biggleswade Athletic Club high jumper has climbed to third in the UK rankings with her latest performance.
Leonie Brunning, 15, won the silver medal at the English Schools’ Championship in Birmingham over the weekend, competing in the the under 17s category.
Easily clearing the bar at 1.50m, 1.55m and 1.60m, Leonie then equalled a new personal best of 1.69m.
“Having first-time clearances at the first three heights made me less uneasy,” she said.
“As soon as I cleared 1.69m I was buzzing and determined to clear higher so that I could medal.”
You may also want to watch:
And she did just that, jumping 1.72m at the second attempt before clearing 1.75m – which was enough for fifth place at the recent senior British Championship – at the third time of asking to pick up second place.
Her win means she will wear an England vest and compete at this weekends Schools International in Scotland.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'