Big fire breaks out at Stevenage’s Fairlands Valley Park as black plume of smoke seen across the town
- Credit: Archant
A plume of black smoke has been seen billowing from Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage after a big fire which started on a plastic jetty.
At least three crews were called to the park off Fairlands Way to tackle the blaze – which started at about 9pm on the island within the lakes.
Firefighters have tweeted to say the fire is under control, but for the public to keep their windows shut.
It is not yet clear what caused the blaze.
Collette Cooper told the Comet: “I was coming out of Marriotts gym and it made me jump when I saw all that smoke so close. I live nearby and a friend rang me thinking it was my house!”
You may also want to watch:
Kristina tweeted @thecomet24: “I could see the smoke from Jacks Hill [in Graveley]. Wondered where it was coming from!”
Peter O’Connor also tweeted: “I hope the impact on the wildlife is minimal.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket