Bid to revive Hitchin pub dashed as cash buyer swoops in
- Credit: Archant
Plans to revive a historic pub have been unsuccessful.
A business plan was put forward by the pub preservation officer at CAMRA North Herts, Malcolm Chapman, to purchase The Sailor Boy in Woolgrove Road, Hitchin.
The pub, which is Grade II-listed, closed in September last year.
The 65-year-old, who lives in Stevenage, told the Comet: “I wanted to turn the pub into a real ale and cider pub serving a whole foods menu and a teaching kitchen and have community activities. The Sailor Boy wasn’t much of a pub when it was open, and I had some good ideas to do something different.”
Mr Chapman presented his business plan to Enterprise Inns, the owners of the pub, but this was rejected when a cash purchase was made.
You may also want to watch:
“We were just going through who owned the fixtures and fittings of the pub and then I found out that the pub had been bought in cash by a grocery shop owner,” he said.
“I think he thought that the pub was being bought by Tesco and maybe bought it in fear of that. The Co-op had also expressed an interest in the pub, but they backed out.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Mr Chapman said that he would like to see the building remain as a pub and would be disappointed to see it turned into housing.
He added: “The owner has yet to reveal his plans for the pub, but there have been suggestions that it could be turned into an Indian restaurant.
“There are 35 pubs in Hitchin, it is a pub town and there are far too many housing developments in Hitchin, which is slowly losing its character.”