Best of the bunch
HENLOW is the best village in Bedfordshire – and it has an award to prove it! The village was the overall winner in the 2006 Calor Bedfordshire Village of the Year competition. Not only does Henlow have the prestigious title but the parish council now has
HENLOW is the best village in Bedfordshire - and it has an award to prove it!
The village was the overall winner in the 2006 Calor Bedfordshire Village of the Year competition.
Not only does Henlow have the prestigious title but the parish council now has £1,000 to spend in the community to mark the occasion.
The village now goes into the national finals of the village competition where if it wins it could pick up a top prize of £7,000.
You may also want to watch:
The judges said they were impressed by the enthusiasm of the many people they met and the variety of clubs and societies the village supports.
RAF Henlow camp is situated in the village, and the judges said the two integrated well.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
Janet Ridge, chief executive of the Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity and a member of the judging team, said: "The people we met obviously love living in Henlow. We were bowled over by their enthusiasm and their interest in making the village tick.
"It is not a community that is standing still. We were shown how they are developing ideas and making plans to continually improve the village.
"Henlow is deservedly Bedfordshire Calor Village of the Year for 2006."
Local councillor Amy Cliff, who has lived in the village for 35 years, said: "It is a great honour to win this award and brings a lot of pride to the community.
"People in Henlow work together and there is a community feel about the village that people take a lot of pride in.