Best of the bunch
HENLOW is the best village in Bedfordshire – and it has an award to prove it! The village was the overall winner in the 2006 Calor Bedfordshire Village of the Year competition. Not only does Henlow have the prestigious title but the parish council now has
HENLOW is the best village in Bedfordshire - and it has an award to prove it!
The village was the overall winner in the 2006 Calor Bedfordshire Village of the Year competition.
Not only does Henlow have the prestigious title but the parish council now has £1,000 to spend in the community to mark the occasion.
The village now goes into the national finals of the village competition where if it wins it could pick up a top prize of £7,000.
The judges said they were impressed by the enthusiasm of the many people they met and the variety of clubs and societies the village supports.
RAF Henlow camp is situated in the village, and the judges said the two integrated well.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
Janet Ridge, chief executive of the Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity and a member of the judging team, said: "The people we met obviously love living in Henlow. We were bowled over by their enthusiasm and their interest in making the village tick.
"It is not a community that is standing still. We were shown how they are developing ideas and making plans to continually improve the village.
"Henlow is deservedly Bedfordshire Calor Village of the Year for 2006."
Local councillor Amy Cliff, who has lived in the village for 35 years, said: "It is a great honour to win this award and brings a lot of pride to the community.
"People in Henlow work together and there is a community feel about the village that people take a lot of pride in.