Best lights show ever gets everyone in a festive mood
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people got into the festive mood when they turned out for this year’s Christmas lights switch-on.
People travelled from all over the area to witness the annual event which had all of Stevenage sparkling.
Santa and his helpers were in attendance as well as members of this year’s Gordon Craig Theatre Christmas panto Aladdin and characters from Disney smash hit Frozen.
Britain’s Got Talent finalist Gabz sang and Warriorz Performing Arts Academy showcased their moves before the countdown for the switch on by Stevenage mayor Sherma Batson, Stevenage Borough Council leader Sharon Taylor and six-year-old Erin Lang – pictured above left – who won a competition to press the plunger and light up the town centre.
Councillor Taylor said: “I think it was the best switch-on we’ve ever had.
“The weather wasn’t too bad and the atmosphere was brilliant.
“Gabz’s performance got everyone in the mood and we had the cast of the panto and Frozen on stage.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
“It was a great way to get the whole town into the festive spirit and they all seemed to have a great time.”
Writing on Twitter Clare Wilkins said: “It’s now officially Christmas in Stevenage.”
Gabz tweeted: “Thank you so much Stevenage! Great performing at my home town’s Christmas lights.”