Bereaved Stevenage daughter to launch own Codicote Slimming World group after weight loss success
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage woman who was inspired to lose weight after struggling to complete a charity run in memory of her parents has started her own slimming group to help others do the same.
Donna Lee went from a size 16 to size eight in just six months after joining Slimming World last January.
Two months before the 43-year-old had found it difficult to finish the Regent’s Park 10k – a race which she ran for Macmillan Cancer Support in recognition of the charity’s support after her parents Phillip and Carol both died from the disease in a matter of months.
“I really struggled because of my weight, but I was so determined to finish the 10k and raise money for the charity,” said Donna, who herself is Macmillan’s area fundraising manager for Herts and Essex.
“After the run I saw the most awful picture of myself and burst into tears.
You may also want to watch:
“I knew straight away that I needed to lose weight.
“I had tried lots of diets in the past, but I was determined that this time it was going to be different!”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
Signing up to Slimming World proved the turning point for Donna, who lost three stone in six months and has kept the weight off ever since.
She says she was shown how to shop, cook and eat differently.
“From that moment I knew I was not dieting I was having a change of lifestyle,” she said.
“From the beginning, I lived off carbohydrates.
“Despite eating more on the Slimming World plan, I was eating the right foods in the right way.
“The amazing thing about Slimming World is the support that I received in group every week as well as sharing ideas and recipes.”
Now Donna – who recalled how when her parents were ill in hospital she would eat on the go, putting on weight as she continued to crave comfort food after their deaths – is launching her own Slimming World group in Codicote.
Her group will meet for the first time at The Peace Memorial Hall on April 7, continuing every Saturday at 8.30am.
For more information on joining the group, call Donna on 07702797487 or email email@example.com.
To find your nearest group visit slimmingworld.co.uk/joining-a-group.