Ben Kennedy scores as he leads Northern Ireland to UEFA U19 victory
- Credit: Archant
Ben Kennedy got himself on the scoresheet as he led Northern Ireland U19s to victory in their opening game of the UEFA U19 Championship in Russia.
The Stevenage star scored the opening goal in a 2-1 victory over Norway, a result which leaves his country top of the Group Nine standings after the first round of fixtures.
The Irish skipper had the chance to grab a second two minutes into the second half after he was brought down in the box.
He took the penalty himself but unfortunately saw his attempt saved by Kjetil Haug in the Norwegian goal.
Tweeting after the game Kennedy said: “Nothing better than winning, scoring and captaining your country. Top of the table and on to Russia on Saturday.”
You may also want to watch:
Following that game against their Russian hosts, Northern Ireland finish this round of qualifying against Slovakia on Monday.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth